Learn 10 Amazing Facts about Bonthe District
By NASA [CC-BY-SA-2.5], via Wikimedia Commons
- Bonthe District comprises of several Islands and a mainland.
- According to the 2015 Census, the District population stands at two hundred thousand, seven hundred and thirty (200,730).
- Bonthe District is the least populous in Sierra Leone.
- The District is subdivided into eleven chiefdoms.
- The District occupies a total area of 3, 468 km2.
- Bonthe District is bordered on the West by the Atlantic Ocean, on the Northwest by Moyamba District, Southeast by Bo District and South by Pujehun District.
- The original natives of Bonthe District are the Sherbro people.
- The Mende People immigrated to Bonthe District and today constitute the largest ethnic group in the District.
- One of the World’s largest deposits of titanium ore (rutile) is in Bonthe District.
- A consortium of US and European investors have been mining rutile in Bonthe District since 1979.